If you are trying to eat on the healthier side, this is a great go-to meal. Because it is delicious at room temperature, it can also be a good choice for taking a healthy lunch to work or school. We sometimes add some warmed turkey from the deli or put a fried egg on top for additional protein. It’s fantastic and satisfying! I have included the salad dressing recipe, but you can also find it here.
Black Rice and Kale
- ¾ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp Nama Shoyu (or soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 2 tbsp red onion (minced)
- 3 tbsp ginger (grated or finely minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- ½ bunch of curly leaf kale *see note
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
- 4 scallions (sliced thin)
- Put all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake well.
- Adjust the ingredients to taste if necessary. Set aside.
- Remove the large stems from the kale and finely chop.
- Place into a large micro-safe bowl.
- In the meantime, cook the black rice according to package instructions. The rice should be slightly firm. Drain any excess liquid.
- Microwave the kale for 1 minute. If you don't have a microwave, quickly saute it for a minute or until just wilted.
- With the kale in the microwave bowl, add the hot black rice on top. This helps to cook the kale if you haven't previously sauteed it. Let it sit for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Pour the dressing over the rice and mix well.
- Sprinkle the top with scallions and serve with chile garlic sauce if you like some extra spice. Enjoy! For extra protein, top it with a fried egg or some sliced turkey from the deli.