My husband LOVES Chicken Parmesan and considers himself a connoisseur. This comes from his first job working at an Italian restaurant as a dishwasher. Although he didn’t make a lot, he did get a free meal at the end of his shift and it was almost always Chicken Parmesan. To this day, if we go to an Italian Restaurant, that’s usually what he orders. BTW- If you are ever in Atlanta, you must try Il Localino, an upscale Italian restaurant located in the Inman Park neighborhood. We believe they serve one of the best Chicken Parmesan’s you will ever have the pleasure of eating.
However, when you would like something incredibly tasty but are watching your diet, you cannot beat this healthy version of Chicken Parmesan. Make your own sauce from scratch and use good quality cheeses. (The sauce below is from Mario Batali’s Chicken Parmesan. We like to as is but also add a handful of chopped fresh basil just before serving.)
Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
- 2 large chicken breasts (slice in half from the side)
- garlic powder
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- handful of fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I prefer the Cento brand)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 carrot (peeled and shredded)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Cook the Squash
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Slice squash in half vertically. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon or ice cream scoop.
- Rub the interior and exterior of the squash with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast until the squash is tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork and pulls away from the outside. Let cool slightly.
- Using a fork, shred the interior of the squash so that it comes out like strings of spaghetti.
- Place in a bowl with butter. Salt and pepper and set aside.
Make the Sauce
- Add olive oil to saucepan and bring to temp over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes.
- When onions are soft, add can of crushed tomatoes, thyme salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 mins to let the flavors meld.
Cook the Chicken
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add chicken and let cook until it can be easily lifted from the bottom of the skillet. This should be nice and browned on both sides.
Put it Together
- Turn the oven on broil.
- Warm the squash in the microwave for a minute or two.
- On a baking sheet or oven-safe dish, place individual portions of the squash. Top with 2-4 tbsp of tomato sauce. Place chicken on top along with another 2-4 tbsp of sauce. Top with 3 slices fresh mozzarella.
- Broil until cheese is partly browned and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and plate. Shred fresh Parmesan on top along with a sprinkle of the chopped basil. Serve and enjoy!