Because it requires very little cooking, this is a perfect salad for the hot days of summer! In fact, we enjoy it dressed with a lovely champagne shallot vinaigrette and served with some crusty French Bread.
- I shallot (finely minced)
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard or dijon
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- ¼ tsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 package mixed greens
- 1 boiled egg
- 1 can tuna packed in water
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 cup green beans (ends trimmed and blanched)
- 1-2 small white potatoes
- 10 kalamata olives (pitted and halved)
- 1 tomato (cut into wedges)
Make the Vinaigrette
- Whisk together all ingredients except the olive oil.
- Slowly drizzle oil into mixture while continuing to whisk.
- One mixture is emulsified, set aside.
- EGGS: Place eggs in boiling water. Reduce and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove and run under cold water. Peel and set aside.
- POTATOES: Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water. Add 1 tbsp salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down to simmer and cook until the potatoes pierce easily with a fork, but are not mushy. When tender, remove from heat and drain. Rinse under cold water to prevent additional cooking.
- BEANS: Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water. Add 1 tbsp salt and bring to a boil. Add beans and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and immediately rinse with cold water or place into a water bath (ice water). Drain and set aside.
Bring It All Together
- Lightly toss one serving of salad (about 3 cups) with 2 tbsp of dressing. Add to the plate. Arrange additional ingredients on top of mixed greens. Lightly drizzle with additional dressing and serve!